Don't think, don't hesitate, don't ease your guard, don't even blink, 'cause it'll end in a flash. Enemies were taught to flee on sight, but for the few foolish enough to challenge you, here's a guide to what you can do:
The Yellow Flash...The General Guide to Minato Namikaze
A) Pros & Cons
A) Pros & Cons: Bending Time & Space has it's Up's and Down's
PROS:Attack (Strings/Combos, Grab and Tilt)
- Fast U2
- Fast cinematic U1, causes SB
- Fast Ninja Movement
- Great Awakening
- Fast Chakra Kunai with good homing
- U2 has some lag if missed/blocked
- Grab has slow startup time and does not cause SB
- Tilt has lag if it doesn't connect
- Chakra Kunai has very little hit stun.
B) Abilities: The basics of Teleportation Ninjutsu
- Minato's most noteable string is his neutral B/O combo. With controlled button presses you can cancel the combo into Chakra Kunai for some anti-KnJ. Also his Down string provides good guard pressure, so if you see the opponent has weak guard keep this in mind, you could possibly break it.
- Teleportation: Divine Speed
(Grab). Minato aims and slowly throws a kunai at the opponent. The good thing is it's a projectile so even if the opponent moves forward during his combo after you KnJ, it will still reach them. The bad thing is it has a long startup time. As with most slow grabs, this one also causes slight paranoia. The opponent will know it's coming, so will be mashing the guard button to KnJ it, although they can just walk away from it.
- Teleportation Ninjutsu
(Tilt). Minato throws a couple of normal looking Kunai at the opponent. If the Kunai hit, then Minato will teleport behind the opponent and from there you can start a combo. This has some lag if it doesn't hit and the fact that the Kunai have no homing doesn't help. It's recommended for use at mid-long range. *Check Support section C for more info on how to use tilt*
Special Note on tilt: Minato's Kunai from the tilt will not hit Chiyo. She's too short.Projectiles (Shuriken, Kunai etc.)
- Normal Kunai: Throws 3 Kunai. Average.
- Chakra Kunai: Throws 3 Kunai. Two from the sides and one down the middle, they will close in on the opponent and are fast. Can hit Ninja Moving opponents, but not always.Ninja Tools
Teleportation Kunai: Increases speed for a longer period of time. (x1)
Attack Down Tag: Throws a tag, if hits, decreases opponents attack for a set period of time. (x1)
Speed Up Food Pills: Raises speed for a set period of time. (x2)
Floating Kunai: Three floating bags are thrown and explode after 2 counts. (x3)
Be sure to Lag Cancel
.Jutsu (U1 & U2)
. Minato quickly charges a Rasengan and runs towards his opponent. One of the fastest jutsus at pointblank (tied with Naruto). It has a cinematic and causes SB. It can be combo into his strings for anti-KnJ and anti-support.
- Time-Space Rasengan Barrage
. Minato will charge his Rasengan for a little longer and teleport-dash at his opponent giving him partial invulnerability. Causes SB and is a cinematic. It's recommended to use your Floating Kunai for some backup due to charging required.
- The Yellow Flash
. Minato prepares a small Rasengan and taunts them by saying "This will settle it", then dashes quickly at them. Very fast, can catch linear Chakra dashing opponents (ie. Guy). Has some lag on block/miss.
C) Supports: A Hokage would die for the sake of his allies, and they would do the same
- Attack Type
. Since his U1 causes SB you can potentially do U1-SB-U1-SB-U1 for a large amount of damage. But be careful you'll be left with almost no Chakra which is very unsafe. Don't forget to Storm Combo
- Guard Type
. Use guard types to stall for awakening again. Also good to use because of Minato's ability to combo his U1 into his strings. You'll be running out of Chakra very quickly, so it's nice to have an ally guard you from projectiles/supports while charging your Chakra.
- Balance Type
. Minato's Chakra Kunai are average, but don't have enough hitstun. Using a balance type assist like SN or Jiraya can give you what you lack; so you can possibly land that U2. SN Chakra Shuriken also have good guard pressure, useful against turtles. If you're not too good at implementing Rasengan into your strings to cause SB, then it's recommended to use Shikamaru due to his Kunai Bomb.Recommended Supports
- Use Jiraya and Naruto for a good Team Bonus and an overall good team. Both on attack or mix it up with at least one on attack, depending on your play style.
- To actually use your tilt in battle it's recommended to have an assist like Neji, Pain or Hinata and a projectile assist like Itachi, Sasori or Deidara. While using the projectile support, use his tilt and then throw out the defensive support to prevent your opponent from Chakra dashing in after blocking the projectile support (canceling out your tilt Kunai). The opponent will be focused on the assist and temporarily forget about Minato's Kunai. After blocking the projectile assist he may lower his guard and get hit by the kunai, at which point you will teleport behind him. Only use this once in a battle, otherwise your opponent will learn to hold block and then you'll be out of supports.
D) Awakening: Giving it your all!
Minato has reached his limit so he decides it's time to give it his all! His Chakra dash now becomes his signature Teleportation Jutsu allowing you to teleport behind the opponent. Now you can safely combo, even if the opponent KnJ's your attacks you can teleport behind them again. You also receive a nigh infinite combo in the air by teleporting right before the last kick to the ground. Be wary of your Chakra while awakened, due to all the teleportation your Chakra will decrease rapidly, and you'll be left without any.
Also while awakened Minato focuses harder, increasing his damage output and guard pressure. Remember this, with Minato's neutral B/O combo, once he flips and throws his Kunai, the opponents guard will break. Instead of continuing the combo try throwing in a Rasengan, or maybe even a Time-Space Rasengan Barrage! This of course means you must used controlled button presses. If successful, you will optimize your damage output and Chakra usage.
Overall, Minato is one of the greatest characters. He lives up to his nickname with his quick moves. If you want to finish up your matches in a flash, then I recommend Minato Namikaze, The Yellow Flash.